Sunday, October 14, 2012

Slaughterhouse "Welcome To: Our House"

             Slaughterhouse "Welcome To: Our House" Review


"Welcome To: Our House" By the rap super group Slaughterhouse was a highly anticipated sophomore album. Their first album titled Slaughterhouse was a good debut album. But since they signed to Eminem's label Aftermath Records, there has been nothing but hype. The group consisting of Royce Da 5'9 , Joe Budden, Crooked I, and Joel Ortiz have been known as some of the rap games best "lyrical" rappers. And with the production from the aftermath label, there has been a lot expected out of this album.
The album starts off with the song "Our House" which features Eminem (rap) and Skylar Grey(hook). The song is not a bad start to the CD. The production on the song was pretty good and Skylar Grey does a phenomenal job on the hook. My main issue with the song is that it was missing a verse from Joe Budden. I don't understand how you can start off an album of a "group" and not have one of your rappers on the song. Overall I gave the first song a ratting of 6 out of 10 mainly because of the omission   of Joe Budden. The second song of the CD "Coffin" features Busta Rhymes and seems like a filler on the album. The beat is annoying, as well as Busta Rhymes on the hook. To me none of the rappers brought their "A" game on this track. I would have to rate this song a 2 out of 10. The next song "throw that" featuring Eminem adds more disappointment to the album so far. The beat was not impressive, and the hook was beyond trashy. Each rapper falters into trashy rhymes. The song itself was a slight upgrade to "Coffin" so I will rate is a 4 out of 10.

The album starts to pick up with "Hammer Dance". The beat on this song was simply amazing. Each rappers flow was incredible. However their lyrics was still below average from what was expected. The song is more of a commercial song, something that you expect Slaughterhouse to stay away from. I gave this song a rating of 7 out of 10. The next song "Get Up" also rates a 7 out of 10. The song has a fast beat, fast flows from each rappers as well as decent lyrics. The album seems to be picking up after a disappointing start. The next song is definitely a commercial filler (radio song). "My Life" features Cee Lo Green, who provides an annoying hook. This song was a little too commercial for my liking making the album take a step back. The only good thing about this song was the flow that each rappers use. I give the song a 5 out of 10. The next song "Flip a Bird" is the best song so far on this album. The beat and hook are great, as well as each rappers flow. I gave this song a 8 out of 10. The highs don't last as the next song "Throw It Away" featuring Swizz Beats, is another commercial filler. Swizz Beats has to have one of the most annoying voices and every time I hear him in a hook it instantly ruins the song. Song is giving a 2 out of 10 and only avoids a 1 because the beat is not to bad. 
"Rescue Me" features Skylar Grey on the hook again and her voice instantly adds greatness to any song. The beat is another great beat and compliments Grey on the hook well. Crooked I and Joe Budden add phenomenal verses giving this song a rating of 8 out of 10. The next song "Frat House" is another commercial song, however I enjoyed this song throughly. The theme of the song is a college based theme as each rappers raps metaphors that involves college. The hook and beat are fun. Each rapper has clever lines and I love when Crooked I says "we don't need no education we Pink Floyd". Joe Budden and Joel Ortiz's back and forth verse at the end was genius and meshed well together. I gave this song a 9 out of 10.  

The next song "Goodbye" is easily the best song on this album in my opinion. The song is a sad song where each rapper in the song raps about something that has happened in their life. Joe Buddens verse was absolutely amazing. He talks about the miscarriage of twins that he was suppose to have. One line that he said was "Hard turn from memorable to cynical... Picturing clothes for what would've been identical. Similar outfits, similar names. My deceased kid's ultrasound in a frame. So I'm deprived of my chance to be a better dad. Staring at my twins that I never had. I Shed a tear, looking up in the sky. Even though y'all just got here, goodbye" The beat and hook where also great on this song. The song is a perfect 10 out of 10 in my eyes. 


The next song "Park It Sideways" is another great song. The beat is great and the hook is catchy. Each rappers flow is great and the lyrics are above average. I give this song an 8 out of 10. The next song "Die" has another great beat. Fast flows, and great lyrics are what highlight this song. I give this song a 8 out of 10 as well. The last song of the album "Our Way" is a nice way to wrap up the album. The song is about how each rapper made it big in the rap game by doing things there own way. That they didn't fold to what the record labels wanted them to do. I would rate this a 7 out of 10. There were 4 bonus songs on this album but only one song is worth mentioning. "The Other Side" is an amazing song and I'm surprised its a bonus song. This song showcased the lyrically abilities of Slaughterhouse. A line I like in the song was by Joe Budden which was "Just cope, do what works for you. I'm prettier inside I'm trying to be reversible". The hook on this song was great too. I would give this song a 9 out of 10.



All in all I was some what disappointed in this album. I was expecting big things of this album and I feel as though half of the album isn't too good while the other half is what I expected out of them. I give this album a 7 out of 10. I was expecting a 10 out of 10 but at least some of the songs on here where really good. I chose to compare my review with Hiphopdx. I found it interesting that they had similar reactions to what I had. For instance they said ""Coffin" and "Throw That" are skippable, with the former featuring a tired Busta Rhymes failing to sound genuinely riled up and the later comprised of forgettable sex talk. The project picks up steam again with "Hammer Dance", clever from its title on down to every bar". I think that all four rappers have big things coming their way. I'm hoping there next album will be better than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment