Sunday, October 14, 2012

Afro-Hip Hop

Afro-Hip Hop

              Coming from Nigeria, I grew up listening to a lot of different types of music. As a child my first memory was listening to Michael Jackson, Sisqo, R Kelly,  Nelly and many other Artist. My parents went really into music, but the radio was always on and my older cousins were always listening to CD players. But as I became a teenage,. music began to have more of an influence on me. I found that music was a source of happiness. During that time i discovered a new type of music which i had previously disliked,it was Afro-Hip Hop. It was a mixture of western music with a blend of both African instruments and vocals.

                  The difference between the normal western Hip Hop and the African one was the message. Western Hip Hop had only one message and it was self awareness. The rappers wanted people to acknowledge them, their suffering in life and how they have made it in life. African rappers were different,  then know that everyone suffers,and many people have made it,so they try and spread awareness of the situation of others. While western rap was darker and more violent, African rap was always encouraging happiness,going out,having fun and just enjoying life.The rappers and singers used Afro beats to gain fans,then get the fan to try and make a change where it is most needed,in the heart of Africa.
Some of the more important things that they try to make people aware of is HIV/AID's. They tell teenages the importance of education,treating each other with respect and how life is too short for a person to waste it doing stupid stuff like drugs. It really influenced the way I grew up and has always been my medecine whenever i feel down. Some of the African artist have gone forward to the extent that they are signed with major record labels here in the US. One of the most famous is D’banj,who is signed to G.O.O.D MUSIC  with Kanye West and people like Kid Kuddi,Common and Styles P. Another well know Afro musician here in the US is the Nigerian legend Fela Kuti who all of the Afro Musicians look up to and try to imitate.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome; music is a great thing to fall back on in life. I grew up with music as well, I was always listening to it no matter what I did and I still listen to it all the time. I grew up with music on every weekend. I would do chores yard work whatever I did I would listen to music. Music is something that I can always relate to because there are so many different songs that are relevant to many different things you do in life. I love listening to music before a game or something to help pump me up and get that extra push of energy. I listen to a lot of country but I also like other genres such as hip hop, dub step, and others. I’m glad music can mean a lot to you as well because it is such a great thing to have.

    ReplyDelete