Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Blog#3


The easiest way to get good grades is to listen, study, and do the homework. It is not that some students are smarter than other students or that they have a better laptop or whatever the case may be. If you're listening while the professor is talking then chances are you will have good notes and will be able to engage in class discussion. If you're engaged in class discussions you will gain a better class participation grade which could give you that extra boost you may need to give you that A. When it comes to studying it is all about the class and how your notes are structured. If your class notes are based off of book work then you can go back and reread the chapter that the test is on, but if your class is based off of lectures then your notes will be heavily relied on and need to be crisp. There are many ways to study it comes down to trial and error, because what works for me may not work for you. What i found successful while studying is rewriting my notes, I noticed that writing the same thing twice or maybe three times if necessary helped the material stick for tests and quizzes. The most underrated part of passing a class is undoubtedly homework. Many students feel that homework is a waste of time and if they do well on tests and quizzes then they won't need homework. Although in some cases this may be true, homework can mean the difference between a B and an A or worse a pass or failing grade. By doing homework you are training yourself to remember the material you went over in class, this helps you build off that material to become better in that given course. Most homework assignments are not very time consuming and if done I’m sure you'll see an improvement in your grades. As a student I know from experience that if you buy into these steps which consist of listening, studying, and doing homework then you will have no choice but to be successful in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you in the ways to get grades and I think there is a lot of people at this school that need to read this blog. If you hadn't have already posted this I would have done the same topic and it would have sounded pretty similar. Going to class and engaging in the conversation is key for participation and understanding what is actually being taught. So many people I know have also negated doing homework as they feel its not worth enough points but depending on the teacher it's most likely going to hurt you in the long run.If there is one thing I would have added to your blog post it would have been just go to class, even though it touches on that in participating. The counselors and professors here all preach about just going to class and doing the work but some will still fail out with a B in a class but had 10 unexcused absences. Wrote a great blog and I hope we can continue to buy into the knowledge we have to graduate with good grades in all four years here. Also the "did you study' picture above is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote about a very similar topic, which is writing an essay! We both basically stated that there is no easy way around school. I completely agree that in order for you to be successful in school you must participate in class, do the homework, and studying for tests and quizzes. I also believe that rewriting my notes helps me remember things much easier. Another one of my techniques is flashcards, I strongly believe that repetition is key to memorizing and understanding information. I was really interested by the point you made about the difference between not doing your homework can be a B instead of an A. I myself always do my homework, but that line could be very motivational to those who think it is okay to just do everything but the homework. Besides the context of this blog, I found the picture of “ Did you study for the test?” very funny because it really is true that there are those who have studied for hours, those who just glided by reading the chapter, and those who were too busy twiddling their thumbs.

    ReplyDelete